According to Shawn Collins and Lisa Picarille, I hate Top 10 Lists.
So, to get out of my shell a little, I’ve spent a great deal of time and effort putting together the most meaningful things I’ve read over the past year (thanks, Delicious!) to help you stay on top of the coming trends facing online marketing.
See, I pride myself on catching things early. Jeff Molander called me a futurist once. That was the biggest honor I’ve ever received from an online marketer.
I throw a lot of play-doh at the wall to see what’ll stick, but occasionally I get things right. I called Twitter early and my marketer pals thought I was ridiculous when I tried to explain myself here or at the Affiliate Summit in early ‘07. Tumblr has been a decent success. RSS is still developing but I’m still pushing it hard. The semantic web is quickly catching up to web2.0, so I’ve got my eyes on a few things there.
All of that said, here are the things I’m keeping my eye on in 2009 and beyond. It’s a little glimpse into my mind… if you will.
I sincerely hope you learn something and that you enjoy!
1. Joseph Priestley (uber marketer): This guys is (was?) a brilliant marketer. You’ll love him. Just read the whole thing. Trust me.
2. Marketing Vision: John Updike nails the marketing theory of discovery and changing landscapes.
3. Philosophy of Marketing: Insight, relevance and connections…what all
good great marketers strive for in their campaigns.
4. Social Media Marketing Defined and Refined: Yes, social media marketing is the new hotness. But do you know how to turn it into reality?
5. The Possibilities of Marketing: Process Marketing will be huge in 2010. Know what it is? You should. Read this.
6. Viral Marketing 2.0: Forget that old-skool viral marketing mumbo jumbo. Pathogen marketing is going to be hot in the twenty-teens. Get your prescription for success now!
7. The Goal of All Marketers: At the end of the day, this is why I do what I do.
8. Marketing Yourself at Conferences: You must have these skills for conferences.
9. Advanced Twitter Usage for the Advanced Marketer: Do you use Twitter? Are you a marketer? Know all the basics? Then read this.
and last (or first if you’re starting with 10, which is cool) but not least:
10. Putting it All Together for the Future: Marketing is rapidly evolving. This guide will help you plan out your next moves to keep you relevant in the coming decade of media upheaval.
Anything I missed?
Here’s to a successful 2009 and beyond!