Sunday, December 14, 2008

Deliverability.com: Spam on Twitter

VERY GOOD EMAIL MARKETING BLOG & PLACE TO FIND MARKETING PARTNERS

Deliverability.com: Spam on Twitter: "Spam on Twitter

I noticed a new phenomena on Twitter yesterday. I got email notifications from bogus account names that my Twitter account is being followed.
Obviously the first thing one does is checking what user is following you and the only message one sees is a commercial ad.

Here's what I got on my Gmail account:
Twitter spam

Maybe Twitter's user account registration system is being 'worked on' by hackers or someone was doing this manually, but this definitely is able to put some message and link through.

Maybe Twitter should implement reputation-based mechanisms with Report Spam buttons to their system just like ISPs do. Spammers are trying to appear at every possible place with eyeballs and Twitter definitely has a lot of them.

Did you receive any similar 'follow' notifications?"

No comments: